Sandy Skoglund's photograph entitled Revenge of the Goldfish is a nightmare taken prior to the development of any Photoshop-esque program. Therefore, it seems that the only explanation is that Ms Skoglund, either personally or with the help of others, handcrafted each and every goldfish. From my experiences in art school, I know that a plaster mold could have allowed her to mass produce many different kinds of goldfish. At the top of the image I can see the slightest hint of a wire so this makes me think that she produced these fish, painted them orange, then hanged them individually in a room. Some goldfish are sitting on the ground and are not hanged. Now this room has been "blued out." Everything, from the pillows to the drawers to the lamps have been made blue. One exception, however, is that the mirror has been left untouched. I know this because I can see reflections of the other side of the room. The  room is not a solitary solid blue, but strokes of different colors have been applied. There are two people in the photo. On the right is a child is sitting upright on the bed and on the left is an adult still at rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment